Thursday, January 8, 2009

Brittany says: "Can you believe they actually make these?"

As any non-Utahn finds upon visiting our state, there is a weird phenomenon in our perception of a certain hairstyle being fashionable. This style is known by some as "Utah hair." For those of who are unfamiliar with this term here are a few examples:

Normally to accomplish this look you back-comb (or tease) the hair at the crown of your head and using copious amounts of hairspray you get it to stay in a helmet-like shape on the top of your head. With "Utah hair" the bigger you can make it the better it looks!

Unfortunately if your hair is not thick enough this look is very hard to accomplish. Young girls spend hours trying to perfect this wonderful look without much success. (Believe me I went to junior high and high school in Utah and have seen the agony firsthand.)

But now there are BUMPITS! Where "you can go from flat to fabulous." BUMPITS! are a plastic insert that allow you to get the perfect "Utah hair" every time.

So for those of you who haven't seen enough of this style or who would like to buy your own BUMPIT! visit their website at www.bighappyhair.com. Maybe "Utah hair" will spread across the country. Maybe to Texas?


(All pictures are from http://bighappyhair.com.)

8 comments:

  1. Hahah! Great post! If I weren't at work you'd probably be hearing my Simpsons laugh right now.

    ...and you say you're not a good writer...bah!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is hilarious! Growing up in Vegas we always made fun of the "Utah hair". We could always point out a girl from Utah just by how her hair was styled. I can't believe they have bumpits!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm glad you found it as amusing as I did. I literally burst out laughing when I saw the commercial for them!

    ReplyDelete
  4. OH MY. The best part is the bit on the website that says "Bumpits are not edible."!!!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. what?!?! they aren't edible?? well I'm canceling all my orders immediately!

    ReplyDelete
  6. bahahahaha. hahaha. Enough said.

    ReplyDelete
  7. That is so funny! I completely forgot about Utah hair. I should order some out here and see if I can spread Utah fashion!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I saw a commercial for these here in Philly! Wow, I had no idea they had spread so far!

    ReplyDelete