Tuesday, August 5, 2008

Jason's Inner Storm Chaser says: "Suhweeeet!!"

If you saw any of my tweets last night, you might remember that I was commenting on the spectacular storm that started as Britt and I were at dinner, continued as we made our way home and persisted through most of the night.

There were severe weather warnings and tornado watches, and I have to admit that I tend to get really excited when mother nature rears her ugly head. Britt thinks I'm crazy and reckless, but I am just in awe when weather gets bad. In all honesty it's a very naive reaction to serious storms that probably comes from growing up in Las Vegas where the weather cycle consists of a few weeks of 120 degree heat and a few days of rainfall amounting to less than an inch of annual rainfall. Still, I find it all really exciting.

So last nights storm was a pretty big one, and did not disappoint. There were reports of hurricane strength winds down by the lake (some up to 94 mph.) and even some funnel clouds touching down. This photo from a local weather blog shows just how strong the winds were. Pretty crazy stuff.


This is one of just 1,438 trees damaged last night. Mother Nature must be all tuckered out this morning.

2 comments:

  1. Glad you will be back to a safer weather climate soon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks familiar! Somehow severe weather can be exciting, as twisted as that can be (no pun intended). I love Chicago. I keep telling Jeff we need to make a trip up there. Sounds like there is a change in store? Where are you guys going?

    Also, congratulations! Your due date is perfect. I love early year baby birthdays.

    ReplyDelete